Sunday, June 5, 2011

You grew on me like a tumor

During one of my medical visits, my doctors told me that my cancer was probably growing inside me over the past 6 or 8 years.

This means that I've had cancer since getting to know most of you. My carcinoma was there when I was getting drunk at a fancy wine bar in New York City and hitting on the guy who would become my fiance. It was there when I took a dizzying bus trip to first see him, and when I told him I loved him. It was there while I was climbing mountains and slogging in swamps throughout my MS degree, and while I was learning the tango and how to make video games and gaining 50 other random skills. As I was turning into the person I am now, this very tiny thing was branching out in my breast.

On the down side, it's horrifying to imagine this thing getting into bed with me every night. On the up side, this has been me, in some sense, living with cancer. Imagine what I could do without it.