Monday, June 27, 2011

Brave

Today I took my first dose of tamoxifen, a drug that blocks cell growth in hormone-positive tumors. Tamoxifen has the unfortunate side-effect of sliding the body into a kind of early menopause. When people ask me if I'm done treatment yet, I'm not sure what to say, but the quick answer is no. I'll be on hormone-blockers for the next five years.

My fiance whipped up a fizzy drink and I took it like a shot. Down the hatch.

Radiation's kicking my butt. I have a huge red burn across my chest. I napped all day today, and all day yesterday. I've been trying to keep up with paddling, but yesterday I got into the kayak and promptly fell asleep.

The most hilarious radiation room song I've heard so far: Your Body Is A Wonderland by John Mayer. Your body is a wonderland... I'll use my GAMMA RAYS.

I've had some really great times with friends lately. And it helps to have someone tell me I'm brave over and over. I need to hear it, and holy crap am I ever.

Did I mention I'm half-Scottish?